Your guide to finding an online coaching training program
Coaching has always been an intriguing subject for Sasha since she first attended a coaching session organized by her company. She felt the connection in an instant and had been aspiring to become a certified coach since then. However, with a full-time job and correspondence alongside, she couldn’t squeeze time for classroom training. After some searching and browsing, she came across online coaching training. Being online she could make time for training between classes and studies. But a few lingering questions remained. How to start? Where to start? How to choose an online training program?
Sasha is not the only one who suffers from these dilemmas before embarking on the life-changing journey of coaching. A lot of beginners go through the same confusion. Keeping that in mind we have prepared this brief guide that will help a coach aspirant to find a compatible online coaching program.
What are the different types of coach training programs available?
Coaching is an expansive domain with multiple specializations. It can be as diverse as your experience and expertise. For instance, you might have heard about some popular coaching niche:
- Career coaching
- Executive coaching
- Business coaching
- Team coaching
- Leadership coaching
- Emotional intelligence coaching, etc.
While these are the most sought-after course, coaching is an evolving domain and hence there are more specializations within the industry. For instance, some coaches offer:
- Cultural Intelligence coach
- Brand Coach
- Recovery Coach
- Woman’s Leadership Coach
- Strategic Innovation Coach
- Leadership Development Coach
You will find your own coaching niche with time. You don’t need to follow something from the very beginning if you’re not absolute about it.
Are these accredited by any regulatory body?
Coaching unlike other professions is still an unregulated industry. Yet, there are international organizations that are considered the gold standard in coaching. ICF, EMCC, and AoC are the most widely recognized coaching accreditation providers in the world.
ICF (International Coach Federation) – Founded in 1995, ICF is the leading governing body in the coaching industry globally. It has its headquarters in Lexington, Kentucky with a presence in 147 countries. As of 2020, the ICF has more than 41,500 members across these countries. Since its inception, the organization has been working towards the advancement of coaching as a philosophy, a profession, and an industry. It has set professional and ethical standards with a focus on propagating the core principles of coaching. ICF approves the training programs offered by different coach training institutes and credentials to practicing coaches.
EMCC (European Mentoring and Coaching Council) – Formed in 1992, the EMCC has its headquarters in Brussels. Although active worldwide, EMCC has a more thriving presence in Europe. The governing body offers professional accreditation to coaching and mentoring professionals. It approves the mentoring and coaching qualifications, code of ethics, accreditations, and coaching frameworks. Like ICF, EMCC too offers credentials to practicing coaches.
When enrolling in an online coaching training program, you need to make sure that it is accredited by either the ICF or EMCC. That way, you know that it is a credible program.
What are the benefits of enrolling in an accredited program?
Coaching qualifications might not be a necessity, but it does help instill the clients’ faith in your capabilities. Choosing an accredited program will:
- Help you learn the essential skills of coaching and understand its core aspects.
- Equip you with tools to conduct independent sessions with clients.
- Prepare you to conquer the obstacles and better understand different personalities so that the clients can achieve positive benefits.
- Make you eligible and well-prepared to apply for ICF/EMCC credentials.
The accredited programs are designed to enhance a learner’s knowledge and concepts concerning coaching.
How to choose an online coach training program?
In the final leg of this blog, we’re offering five tips that will help you choose an online coaching training program. Here’s what you need to do:
- Enroll in a program that is accredited by either ICF or EMCC.
- Book a consultation with the institute to get a fair idea regarding their course modules, certification levels, and course diversity.
- Choose a coach training program that you feel passionate about. And that helps you develop your own practice or business.
- It is recommended that you start your training with a foundational course and make your way through to the Master’s level. That helps in comprehensive learning and creates a stellar graph for your career as a coach.
- Make sure that the institute offer mentor coaching since that lays the foundation for future credentialing.
Team Transformation provides world-class online coaching training courses dedicated to supporting leaders, executives, and trainers in advancing as coaches. They offer ICF-accredited coach training programs worldwide and are known for their expertise in team coaching. You can read more such blogs on coaching here.