What do you aspire to in your life? Do you want career advancements or a fulfilling career? Now, I know that most of you are thinking, ‘aren’t both the same?’ Well, they do not denote the same thing in life. Your career success might not be as fulfilling considering all aspects of physical health, mental health, work-life balance, etc. Likewise, a fulfilling career may not necessarily come with the comforts of great wealth and a lavish lifestyle. So, what would you choose for yourself? Let’s try and understand and figure out the answer.
What is career advancement?
You started as a trainee in an organization. You got promoted to a managerial position in a shorter period and swiftly climbed to a senior executive payroll. This is an ideal example of career advancement or career success.
It is the upward climb or progression in your professional life. It can be in the same field or across multiple areas of expertise. Career advancement is synonymous with financial security.
What is career fulfillment?
Career fulfilment is when you advance in your career with a sense of satisfaction. It might not be a grand title or a senior position, but there is a sense of contentment in what you do. Career fulfilment has a different set of parameters which we will further discuss in detail.
How can you achieve career fulfillment along with advancement?
Whether you want career advancement and fulfilment, you can achieve both, given you have your eyes set on the right goal and work towards the same diligently. The other thing that matters in gaining that sense of fulfilment is inner peace from what you do professionally. If your heart and mind are in sync, then you have a chance of achieving career advancement and career fulfilment. Here are a few ways to enjoy fulfilment in your choice of career.
- Find something that you are good at, and doing it gives you a sense of happiness as well. Doing something that you might be good at but absolutely hate can get you ahead financially. However, it may take toll on your mental health.
- If you can find a career path that aligns with your life values, you’ll strive to be your best at it. If you are working at a job that contradicts your personal principles and values, you will constantly be in a state of conflict.
- There is no hard rule that you have to stick to a single career path. If you have multiple areas of interest, things that you are good at, or skills you have honed over time, which can be monetized, don’t hesitate to pursue them as an additional source of income.
- It is important that you set goals, achieve them, and re-set them again. There is nothing wrong with changing or rebooting your initial goals.
- Constant learning and development is crucial in life. It keeps things interesting and infuses your professional life with a sense of fulfillment.
These are some of the approaches that can help you achieve career success and feel a sense of fulfilment at the same time. If you’re interested in a rewarding and fulfilling career as a team coach, contact us today to get started.
Career success or career fulfilment; it’s not necessary to choose between both. You can aim for both, take chances, and let life take its course accordingly. Hope that was an interesting and insightful topic. Explore more of such invigorating reads here.